Thursday, January 11, 2007

Ever see a bird with a black eye?

Our canary somehow hurt himself a few days ago. He had a red/black eye that we were very concerned about. Over the past few days, it seems to have gone from red to a dull grey around the eye - it is healing.
We have no idea what he did or how he managed to hurt his eye, but at least it is healing and doesn't require a visit to the vet.

I had no idea that birds could be clumsy too...

On the other hand, after almost 2 years, Kirby is finally getting very used to us. He no longer flies to the other side of the cage when we talk to him, he chirps at us when we call him, he looks directly at us, and he isn't skitterish when we put our hands near the cage. It has taken a long time and much soft-talking, but he is coming around.
I still have a hard time catching him when I want to take him from his cage to the other so that I can clean the cage, but at least he doesn't panic like he used to. I think he realized that I won't hurt him.

Our budgie, Sunshine, is taking much more work. She was older when we adopted her and wasn't socialized at all. We have had her since the spring, and she remains very skitterish and scared of us. I think she will take a very long time to socialize too - if ever. I can't catch her at all (luckily her cage is much bigger than Kirby's and I am able to clean it with her in it).

Some of our greyhounds are Very Interested in the birds when I take their cages down; I allow them to look but only from a short distance away so as not the scare the birds too much and to let them know that they are only allowed to look - not touch. They are learning...

We welcome any comments, insights, stories if you wish to add something to this topic. We love to hear about other peoples adventures, and trials and tribulations with their pets.

Have a greyt day,
Joanne

No comments: